About the scholarship system
Scholarships are money that is lent or provided to students to be used for their tuition or student life. Scholarships offered at the University of Yamanashi include Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) scholarships and those provided by local public or private organizations. Information regarding scholarships is posted on YINS-CNS (University of Yamanashi Campus Networking Service).
For information regarding scholarships for international students, please contact the International Office. (Tel:055-220-8047)
【Japan Student Services Organization Scholarship】
Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) scholarships are lent or provided as tuition fees to outstanding students who have difficulty studying due to financial reasons. Loan-type scholarships must be returned after graduation. Scholarship students who receive scholarships funded by national funds must be aware that they are benefit scholarship students and devote themselves to their studies.
（1) How to apply for scholarships
|Reservation schedule (undergraduate)(Japanese)
|(Apply at your high school)
|Reservation schedule (graduate) (Japanese)
|For students who passed the first graduate school examination
|Regular application schedule (undergraduate) (Japanese)
|Undergraduate and graduate students
|Emergency need due to illness, disaster, layoff etc. of the main supporter
※ The above is a rough overview of the application procedure. The detailed schedule will be announced at the briefing session regarding scholarship application.
（2）Procedures regarding the period of receiving loans and grants
Attendance at the briefing session and submission of the Scholarship Continuation Application are mandatory.
Scholarship students must submit a Scholarship Continuation Application (which you can fill out on the Internet) every year around December – January to indicate their desire to continue the scholarship for the next school year. Note that whether you intend to continue the scholarship or not, you have an obligation to submit this form, so please attend the briefing, which is held around December every year, and submit it. You will be notified about the briefing session schedule on YINS-CNS.
- Loan scholarship
For those who have received the Japan Student Services Organization scholarship, we carry out qualification certification to certify whether or not they are eligible as scholarship students based on their grades and study status while they are still in school. If the number of credits earned up to the previous year is extremely small, if you have to repeat a year, or if you are suspended from school, you may be subject to measures such as the suspension of your scholarship.
２． Grant scholarship
The specific details of the eligibility investigation are as follows.
Every year during the period of grant scholarship payment, the Japan Student Services Organization (hereinafter referred to as “JASSO”) will check that you meet the household standards for grant scholarship students based on the income information of the student and the financial supporter (obtained through the My Number system) and the amount of assets reported by the student.
① As a result of the household budget check by JASSO, the scholarship payment may be suspended or the payment amount may change due to changes in the support category. (You can check your support category on the Internet.)
② Students who could not submit My Numbers due to special circumstances must submit documents showing income to JASSO every year during the scholarship period. If the necessary documents are not prepared by the due date, the scholarship may be delayed or stopped.
（２） Academic performance and motivation to study
The university will examine the academic performance and academic motivation of scholarship students based on the “Criteria for Eligibility for Grant Scholarships” and report the results to JASSO.
Depending on the evaluation result, the scholarship payment may be discontinued. If your academic performance is extremely poor and there is no special reason such as a disaster, injury or illness, you will be required to return the money you received as a scholarship and your tuition fee, so remain aware that you are a scholarship student and concentrate on improving your academic performance.
Procedures for students who wish to transfer, study abroad etc
If you are considering any action in the chart below, use the prescribed form to notify the appropriate contact. Regarding procedure for any situation not explained in the chart, feel free to ask for advice.
|Type of notification
|School registration transfer
|Withdrawal of enrollment (Japanese)
|The student loses qualification and the loan is terminated.
|2 weeks before the date of transfer of school registration
|Leave of absence (Japanese)
|Scholarship lending is suspended during the period of leave.
|Study abroad (Japanese)
|Contact the person in charge in advance to discuss whether you would like your scholarship lending to suspend or continue while studying abroad.
|2 months before you start your study abroad
|Return to this university (Japanese)
|After a suspension period due to leave of absence etc. you can apply for revival of your scholarship loan.
|1 month before the date of transfer of school registration
|End of loan
|Loan declining (Japanese)
|Qualification as a scholarship student is ended and the loan is terminated.
|The middle of the month before you wish to decline the loan
|Change in amount of monthly loan
|Type 1 loan increase (Japanese)
|The monthly amount of a Type 1 scholarship is increased.
|The end of the month that comes 2 months before the month you want the change to begin in
|Type 1 loan decrease (Japanese)
|The monthly amount of a Type 1 scholarship is decreased.
|Type 2 loan increase (Japanese)
|The monthly amount of a Type 2 scholarship is increased.
|Type 2 loan decrease (Japanese)
|The monthly amount of a Type 2 scholarship is decreased.
|Change or correction of registration information
|Name change (Japanese)
|The new name of the scholarship student and the bank account information under the new name must be reported.
|Report as soon as possible after change
|Change of scholarship bank account (Japanese)
|Changes in bank account number, name etc. must be reported.
|Report as soon as possible after change
|Change of guarantor of guarantor information (Japanese)
|Changes in guarantors or in contact information for guarantors or those loan-related other than the student, whether individual or institution, must be reported.
|Report as soon as possible after change
|Change of address (Japanese)
|Change of address of students, guarantors, or those loan-related other than the student, whether individual or institution, must be reported.
|Every year, from December to March of the following year
|Change of Type 2 scholarship interest rate calculation method (Japanese)
|Application can be made to change the method of calculating the interest rate of Type 2 scholarships.
【for loans ending in January -March】
|Notification of correction of loan return contract (Japanese)
|When submitting the early return contract (adopted in 2010), any correction to the printed contract must be reported.
|When submitting the loan return contract
*A Certificate of Assets ( a copy is acceptable) must be attached to the Return Guarantee.
|If the appointed guarantor is over 65 years old, submit this document to guarantee loan return.
When submitting the loan return contract
（3） Procedure at the end of the loan period
About the briefing session on loan return
Around November every year a briefing session is held to explain scholarship loan return for those whose lending period has terminated. The date and time are announced on YINS-CNS. Be sure to attend if your lending period is about to end.
Exemption from loan return due to particularly excellent academic performance
If the Japan Student Services Organization recognizes a student who has received a Type 1 scholarship loan at a graduate school as one who has made particularly outstanding achievements while attending school, all or one of the scholarships may be exempted from return at the end of the loan period.
Around January every year, students are selected for recommendation by their academic advisors, and a recommendation order is decided within the field in the graduate school. Finally, students to be recommended by the university are selected from among these recommended students, and the President of the University of Yamanashi recommends the selected students to the Japan Student Services Organization.
＜Reference＞ Evaluation criteria for exemption from scholarship loan return due to particularly outstanding academic achievement (University of Yamanashi criteria)
- Science of Teaching and Learning and Science of Educational Support
- Advanced Studies on Transforming Educational Practic and Science of Teaching and Learning
- Master’s Course of ntegrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Doctor’s Course, Department of Education Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Medicine and Engineering
- Department of Engineering, Doctor’s Course (3Year’s) , Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering Course, Engineering, Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Course, Engineering, Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Computer Science and Engineering Course, Engineering, Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Mechatronics Course, Engineering, Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Special Educational Program on River Basin Environmental Science, Civil and Environmental Engineering Course, Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Special Educational Program on River Basin Environmental Science, Engineering, Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Department of Science for Advanced Materials Course, Engineering, Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Special Doctoral Program for Green Energy Conversion Science and Technology , Engineering, Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Bioscience Course, Life and Environmental Sciences, Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Food and Wine Science Course, Life and Environmental Sciences, Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Regional Environment Management Course, Life and Environmental Sciences, Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Agricultural Science Course, Integrated Applied Life Science, Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
- Bioengineering Course, Integrated Applied Life Science, Integrated Graduate School of Medicine, Engineering, and Agricultural Sciences
Scholarships from local public or private organizations
Some of these scholarships can be applied for through the university, but for others the student should apply directly to the organization. Students are informed through YINS-CNS when the time has come for each scholarship application.
The following are lists of scholarships that have been offered to University of Yamanashi students.
- List of loan scholarships (Japanese)
- List of grant scholarships (2019) (Japanese)
- List of other financial assistance offers (2019) (Jaoanese)
If you are an international student, please contact the International Office to consult about available scholarships. (Tel:055-220-8047)
About Letters of Recommendation
Students who need a Letter of Recommendation to apply for a scholarship from a local public or private organization should follow the steps explained below.
- (Caution) Regarding scholarships which the student directly applies for, if a Letter of Recommendation from the President of the University of Yamanashi is required, the student must contact university scholarship staff at least 10 days before the deadline for submission of the scholarship application to request that the Letter of Recommendation be made.
- Referring to the scholarship application guidelines, prepare your set of application documents.
- Ask your academic adviser or class teacher to fill in the Recommendation Reasons section of the Student Recommendation form shown below. Only fill in the sections inside the box. Do not fill in any other areas. Student Recommendation form (Japanese)
- Seal the Student Recommendation form and submit it to the Student Support Division along with the application guidelines and application documents.
- We will carry out necessary checks such as the household financial check and issue a Letter of Recommendation if possible.
- If the scholarship is one that a student directly applies for, we will return the application documents with the Letter of Recommendation.
※ If application documents are not correctly prepared, it may not be possible to issue a Letter of Recommendation.
※ Depending on the content of the recommendation, you may be asked to submit documents other than those you will submit to the organization providing the scholarship.
※ Issue of a Letter of Recommendation usually takes about a week. Please consult with us if there is not enough time before the application deadline, as you may be refused a Letter of Recommendation due to the lack of time required for preparation.
Building Y, 2nd floor, Counter #5
|Faculty of Medicine Campus
Administration Building 1st floor, Academic Affairs Division
About measures taken due to the COVID-19 pandemic
Financial support for students in need（Japanese)
(Another page will open when you click on ▼Financial support for students in need